Equalcity takes visitors on a journey to equality
Date: Tuesday, April 6, 2021
UN Women Turkey launched an online platform, (www.equalcity.org) imagining a city where women are equally represented, have a voice and where equal rights and opportunities are ensured.
‘Women’s leadership as well as full and effective participation and decision-making in public life’ were the global themes of both International Women’s Day and the 65th session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (CSW65) in 2021.
In line with these global themes, UN Women Turkey launched an online platform, www.equalcity.org, where visitors have the opportunity to visit and dream together a city where equal rights and opportunities and inclusiveness are ensured in municipal services.
Design your own city
Equalcity.org shows gender-responsive and inclusive municipal services and emphasizes the role of local governments in providing an environment where women can become active leaders and participants in social, economic and political life.
Equalcity.org, which depicts an inclusive city, emphasizes gender-responsive leadership and shows what changes when equal rights and opportunities are ensured. The platform asks visitors to comment on which services they would like to see in the towns and districts where they live and to design their own city.
UN Women aims to share some of the anonymous data that will be collected through the interactive platform with municipalities.
- The importance of women in decision making mechanisms
- Gender responsive services that local governments can provide
- Implementation of gender responsive budgeting
- Mechanisms for combating violence
- The role of local governments in combating violence
- The role of local governments in improving education and health services
- The services of local governments for women’s economic empowerment
- Making nursing services a public service
- Transforming stereotypes
Equalcity.org was launched with the financial support of Sweden through the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency, Sida.